More than 25,000 people throughout Pennsylvania are living with Multiple Sclerosis, a chronic and debilitating disease that attacks the central nervous system. My grandmother is one of those 25,000.
As her MS has significantly worsened over the past few years, I decided that I wanted to help the MS cause in any way possible.
My first MS volunteer opportunity was with my aunt and cousin at the 2010 MS Mud Run in Brandywine, PA. It was hot, humid, and, frankly, a bit painful – and I wasn't even running it! I knew, though, that if my grandmother could deal with years of pain and discomfort, who was I to complain after a single day? I considered taking a single day out of my life to join the MS movement and raise awareness the very least I could do.
A year later, I found myself searching the Central Pennsylvania Chapter website for more volunteer opportunities and discovered the opportunity to intern under the umbrella of Public Policy and Social Media. Most college students would balk at the circumstances: I'm not getting paid, nor am I getting any college credit. Yet I decided to approach the internship as yet another volunteer opportunity, so here I am blogging about being an MS Activist.
I don't commit every weekend to participating in volunteer events. I don't run every race or walk every walk. As a student, I don't have much money to donate. How is it possible that I, who only does a limited amount of advocacy work, consider myself an activist?
Because it's simpler than you think.
Any act of advocacy, big or small, can significantly impact the lives of those living with MS. Becoming an activist doesn't mean you have to bike 30 miles or donate a large sum of money (although you're more than welcome to!). In fact, smaller acts can have just as lasting of an impact.
Easy ways you can be an MS Activist:
- Write, email, or call your local government official and encourage them to do something about the lack of funding for MS research
- Distribute the MS Activism brochure “Federal Advocacy” around your neighborhood
- Read and post comments on MS Activism blogs
- Write a letter to the editor or call local talk radio programs to make a public call for action
- Attend a town hall meeting to discuss an MS issue recommended by your chapter advocacy staff
- Sponsor a participant in a MS fundraiser – no contribution is too small.
Mahatma Gandhi once said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” With state funds decreasing and the needs of those with MS increasing, it falls upon everyday citizens to act as advocates. As busy as we are in our day-to-day lives, becoming an activist can take an insignificant amount of time, but make a huge difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment